Followers

Editing Services

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

How To Be a Better Writer



Writing is exciting, and fun, and takes you places you didn't think you'd ever go. But there is one thing you must make time for if you want to be an even better writer--reading.

That's right. You have to find time still to read, I promise you it will help your writing exponentially. If you can't find time to read, you may want to reorganize some priorities. I don't mean that rude, and I don't want to cause you to huff and yell at me through the computer screen. I get being busy, I'm a mom of 3 kiddos under 7, and have other obligations besides walling myself up in my writing worlds. It can be difficult to find time to read.

I actually found I stopped reading for MONTHS. Life got away from me and I never could find the time to read books--now keep in mind reading books and falling in love with stories is what inspired me to become a writer in the first place. Yet, I'd allowed time to push out my first love of the written word.

I've started reading again, currently I'm working on Brandon Mull's series The Beyonders (to the joy of my husband, he's been trying to get me to read it for years). I have been amazed at the amount of motivation I find after I spend 20 minutes reading, that I can push into my stories. It's almost like reading gives your creative brain a rest for a moment and lets the juices flow so when you're ready to write again the words just flow out.

My advice as a professional reader, read many genres. I know it's fun to stick with what you like, but it's great to branch out and see how captivating other genres can be.

I promise if you set aside a few minutes each day to clear you head and escape into a book, your writing will improve. You stories will improve, and therefore your future/current fan-base will grow!

Happy Writing (and reading) 

No comments:

Post a Comment