Followers

Editing Services

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Grammar Tip: Double Punctuation








Emmy Edits is in full swing! I've enjoyed reading, editing, and proofing several different manuscripts, thus far. 

Through this process, I felt it necessary to give a little grammar tip. In today's society texts, email and Facebook are common ways to communicate. I myself, find my grammar to be lacking on my personal Facebook page at times.

I would like to address this grammar mistake in professional, creative writing: The double punctuation! 

It's a little peeve of mine. 
Here's an example: "Can you believe the party is tonight?!"

?!--is not okay!
I understand why writers feel the need for this type of punctuation. The sentence is a question, but has a tone of excitement. It appears to be the only way to get your point across, but it is not grammatically correct. During editing I will always remove the second punctuation mark (and what I mean by always is there are also exceptions, it's English after all). Instead, try using the context of your sentences to give an invisible exclamation point. Write in a way that the reader can hear the voice and tone of the character.

What do you think? Do you feel double punctuation is an "acceptable" form of writing?

Let me know.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment